From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 09:32:26 -0400
Hi Linda,

You are opening a hornet's nest!
There are only a handful of experts on Mitridae and Costellariidae in the
world, and there are usually disagreements between them. The books are in
horrible shape, and this led me some 10 years ago to start a database of
valid vs. synonyms vs. errors. It is a continuing struggle, but I try to
follow the opinions of Richard Salisbury, who has published extensively in
Of Sea & Shore. And there is a current series on Mitridae by Thorsson &
Salisbury in HSN.

Below are copies of entries in my database which list where the species is
mentioned or illustrated correctly. Unfortunately, I use abbreviations for
the publications -- which makes it less than straightforward

Os: means Of Sea & Shore
Di: means J. Cate in 1960 Veliger
Dp: means Wilson & Gillett
Fk: means Turner, 1989
Ei: means Pechar et al
Es: means Compendium
Ah: means HSN
Dn: means Cernohorsky, 1967
Dj: means Cernohorsky 1970
Sk: means Kaicher cards
Gs: means Wilson 1994
Hu: means Mollusks in Japan
Ez: means Springsteen & Leobrera

A bracket [ ] around an entry means it is in error. "|" is a divider
between entries

taeniatum (Lamarck, 1811)  Os:23:2(RS)F271|Di:4(2)F4,5 as
vittatum|Dp:|Fk:P5/12,14|
Ei:P38/1,3,P40/4(?)|Es:p205|Ah:2/86(HT)|Dn:F311|Dj:|Sk:N335|Gs:P35/24|[Hu:]

filiareginae is deemed a synonym of citrinum

citrinum (Gmelin, 1791) Di:4(2)P18/2a,2b,P19/2 all as compressum|Ei:front
cover, P39/1,2 as regina f compressa| Ez:P59/2a only as f
compressa|Os:22:3(RS)F54-56|Di:3(1)4-8, 4(2)P18/1,2,3,6|Sk:N337, N1490 as f
coloscopulus|Ei:P39/3-5|Ej:F27,28|Es:p205/7,8|Ez:P59/2b-e|Fk:P5/3,4

And finally, keep in mind that Costellariidae are VERY variable, but beautiful

John