From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:29:12 +0000
Just had to share this: an intact specimen of Argonauta argo was found
this summer in good old Nova Scotia - ok, on one of our fine, frigid
beaches.  To my knowledge, this is the first such report from anywhere
in Eastern Canada.  To think of this fragile floating home for
Scaphopods floating all those thousands of miles from the tropics, is
quite something!  Qestion: what other Northern Atlantic specimens are
known: has it been found in the Azores, Cape Verde Is., or Europe??  Has
it ever landed on the shores of Western Canada?  How often does it even
reach North America at all?

From the Great Paper North,
ross.