From:
Ed Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 23:16:19 -0400
Linda Bush wrote:

>To add my two cents-
>
>I can't imagine Conch-L without all of the great things that Art
>does contribute.   Aren't we are distinctive personlities, whose
>individuality - as long it doesn't harm anyone - shows through
>regardless of our overwhelmingly main focus on shells?
>
>We are all human, after all, and right now we Americans can sure use
>a little levity!

If you want levity there are loads of email lists that can provide
it, but that's not Conch-l's purpose.   Besides flying pigs lost
whatever levity it had long ago.   Conch-l has a lot of traffic with
the result that I skim articles and, as a result, probably miss out
on more than a little information.  Off-topic articles only aggravate
the situation.  I know of at least one ex-conch-ler who left the list
because of such off-topic posts.  Now here's a simple solution.
Those who enjoys Art's, and other's, off-topic posts can email Art,
he can put those names in  his address book, and pass that list to
everyone who has expressed a similar interest.  Then whenever any of
them have the urge to talk about flying pigs or any other topic not
relevant to shells and mollusks, they can send their emails  only to
those who have expressed an interest in hearing about such stuff and
leave Conch-l out of it.  I think I have suggested this in the past
and will now leave it to Art to explain why he hasn't taken up this
suggestion.
Ed Foster