From:
Alfonso Pina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 18:34:17 -0400
Hello,

I´m looking for some data on diseases in wich molluscs and man are involved
together, specially those are infectious. I know about the existence of
biliharzosis (not sure about the spelling) in wich some fresh waters snails
act as transmission vectors for a nematode (I think) wich affects man. Also
I know about intoxications produced by ingestion of filter feeders
(bivalves) wich accumulate toxins under certain conditions. Anybody knows
about some other diseases involving man and molluscs? Thanks in advance.

By the way, and about anthrax concerning, I knew this morning that in Spain
(pop: 40.000.000) we have about one hundred cases/year (in a natural way:
it is a cattle related issue). Treatment with antibiotics is effective and
deaths by this cause are very rare. I think the situation must be similar
in other European countries, so it looks not that dangerous.

Best regards,

Alfonso Pina
Málaga
Spain