From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 14:47:26 -0600
Hi Ellen,

You already got some pretty good general advice about
collecting cones in the Pacific, and you aren't likely to
have much trouble since you already know they might
be dangerous.  The milk jug method works, but it has a
couple of limitations.  First, it's big, so it's inconvenient
if you are snorkeling or diving.  Secondly, even soft
plastic like a milk jug can chip the very thin lips of some
cones, like C. striatus, C. canonicus, and C.generalis,
as you pop them through the "X".  I use one of the little
Tupperware-type pitchers with a handle, a big snap-on
lid that fits tightly (some of the cheap imitation ones don't),
and a smaller, hinged "pour" cap that can be opened for
small shells.  I also have some plastic jars with hinged
caps that are convenient for snorkeling, but if I'm diving
I like something with a handle.  If you carry one of these
smaller containers, the big Conus litteratus, C. leopardus,
and C. vexillum, etc., might not fit in the container, so I
carry a mesh bag for the big ones.   After seeing the
proboscides extended through the mesh from a lot of
dangerous cones, I quit putting any of these in a mesh
bag, and only use the mesh for the monster worm-eaters,
none of which are likely to be dangerous.

As for handling them, gloves are probably a good idea,
but it's really not a substitute for watching what you are
doing.  If you start to lift a Conus geographus or C. tulipa
off the reef, there is a good chance that it will extend the
proboscis as you start lifting, or even if you put a little
pressure on the dorsum of the shell.  If you dislodge them
and then pick them up as they are temporarily stunned,
they usually don't act as excited.  For the other potentially
dangerous species, sliding them in the sand or across
the rubble will usually make them retract completely and
will minimize the chance that one will take a shot at you.

The best advice I could give is:

1) Wear gloves.
2) Keep the aperture of the shell up so you can see if
    the animal extends the proboscis as you are trying to
    put it in the container.  Drop it or rub the foot of the
    animal against the side of the container if it does.
3) Even if you are wearing gloves, don't carry cones
    around in your hand.  Almost any cone will sting you
    if you carry it in your hand long enough, and your
    glove may smell or feel "fishy" to your new friend.
4) Don't reach into the container to retrieve your prizes
    once you have returned to shore.  Pour them out
    gently and handle them only when you can see them.
    They will be agitated and much more likely to sting
    after a couple hours in your container.

Cones with large "harpoons" like C. striatus and C.
geographus could very likely fire though a leather work
glove.  I have personally seen C. striatus imbed their
teeth several millimeters into aquarium air stones, which
indicates that they are fired with enough velocity to
penetrate almost any glove.  If you try to cut a leather
glove with a knife you might not be very successful,
but try stabbing one with a keen hypodermic needle...

I know this sounds almost scary, but it's really not very
dangerous if you aren't complacent or ignorant.  It only
takes three seconds to pop the container top open,
reach down and grab the nice Conus striatus you see
crawling across the sand, slide him a couple of inches
in the sand, pick him up, and insert him into your container
as you watch the aperture of the shell.

If you do all of this wrong, and break all of the rules,
chances are still pretty good that you won't be stung!
Still, some degree of caution is certainly warranted if
you are handling these guys.  Best of luck with your
Pacific collecting.

Cheers,

Don
(now 6,500 miles from Pago Pago, adjusting to Houston traffic)