From:
"Cadee M.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:39:14 +0100
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Kay Lavalier [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Verzonden: donderdag 8 november 2001 02:48
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: Cooking or Freezing?

Andrew Vik

Uri:

I think that freezing is certainly less traumatic for cold blooded
creatures than boiling.
They do not fight the cold as we do, but simply lapse into
unconsciousness. I use the same method to kill crabs before I cook them.
I consider throwing a live animal into boiling water unacceptable.

I also find alcohol immersion to be an humane method.
It takes only a few seconds to work.

However, having never been personally subjected to any of these
treatments,
these are just opinions  from observation.

Yours, Andrew

I think that immersion in alcohol takes a lot more time to die for a mollusc
than immersion in boiling water. Especially small animals are in alomost no
time warmed to a high temperature, and die almost immediatly. In alcohol
there is almost a minute before the alcohol has reached all the organs of a
mollusc, allowing it to die.
I have good results with friezing. If the annimal can not be removed after
one time of friezing you simply do a second time, and the animal can be
extracted!
Martin C. Cadee, The Netherlands.