From:
Tom Meijer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 11:56:39 +0100
In my opinion, this small discussion is not offending. Anyway, this was not my purpose. Nevertheless, I hold my opinion: essentially it is a 'bad' habit, although not against the rules. There is something else. I know of people who name a taxon after someone else (who has virtually no relation with the taxon) and expect the other person to do the same for him (I name a species after you name a species after me). For me, such people suffer from a (too) large ego, and I consider their behaviour silly.
It is not necessary to be a latinist if you want to create new taxon names. I am not. After working for years with scientific names, you get a certain feeling about the possibilities. You can use dictionaries, you can ask other people who are latinist (on this list for example) if the name you have in mind is more or less correct latin, etc.
Tom