From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:37:39 -0500
Phil,
Perhaps, I should have added the obvious requirement for a variation
analysis that the sample be unbiased with regards to any conchological
variable. The original collector may have intentionally or unintentionally
collected the larger or smaller specimens or may even have tried to collect
representative samples of both sizes in a non-random fashion. It is even
possible that the original lot may have been divided non-randomly &
distributed among other collectors. If you have no way of knowing the
circumstances, then you hope that it was a random sample.

The most practical way to collect an unbiased sample is to take either every
adult specimen in sight or, if that's not feasible, for example, there may
be too many specimens, to take a pre-determined number of shells, say, the
first 100 adult shells you find in an as small & as homogenous habitat as
possible.

Aydin