From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:28:41 -0600
Hi Steve,

Most of the small strombs are great jumpers, if not great
swimmers.  Terebellum terebellum is hard to collect for
just this reason, as they jet off like a rocket every time you
grab at them.  I've seen Strombus dentatus jump, then
continue to kick as they travel through the water, which
gives them the appearance of swimming.  I'm not sure if
this kicking actually makes them travel farther.

The flattened, white shell you saw swimming was most
likely a trochid.  Many of the trochids can swim by rapidly
twirling the foot around like a helicopter rotor.  They don't
seem to be able to do this for more than a few seconds at
a time, but can travel a considerable distance in those few
seconds.  Monilea callifera (Lamarck, 1822) and Monilea
belcheri (Philippi, 1849) are pretty good swimmers, as are
some of their relatives.  Most photos you see of these
species show the darker forms, but they may be almost
white in color.

In addition to these, some Oliva species may swim, or at
least "flutter" along the bottom just above the sand.  Many
species of Opisthobranchs also swim, as do most or all of
the pteropods.

I'm sure some of the others on the list will be able to pro-
vide some references for you, and add to the list of swimmers.

Cheers,

Don