From:
Rick Negus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 17:08:03 -0800
Ellen

I dove or snorkeled all of the  Bays of Huatulco and found Conus princeps,
C. purpurascens, C. gladiator and Cypraea robertsi under/on rocks
everywhere.  Murex princeps, brassica and regius in deeper water among the
rocks and coral.  On the flats I found Strombus peruvianus, Gem
Homalocantha oxycantha, Bursa corrugata and a couple of Pleuroploca
princeps which I brought up to show my 9 year old boy.  The animal is a
beautiful red/purple with spots of blue, I put these back as they were too
beautiful to even think of collecting.  I also collected a Gem Muricanthus
ambiguus, these I have only collected in Baja but it definitely was M.
ambiguus and not M. radix or M. callidindus.
  I did not collect in Puerto Escondido or Puerto Angel as the surf was
huge and they were not even letting the surfers in the water.  These
beaches my be good for beach collecting as a lot of material must be washed
up on the beach.  Everywhere the shops have shells for sale also, mostly
deep water stuff from Veracruz like Turbinella angulata and Strombus
gigas.  Once in a while you might find some local shells but condition was
not good.
Huatulco was a wonderful place, super clean for the tourists.  Puerto Angel
and Puerto Escondido were typical Mexico but the ocean and beaches were great.
I hope this helps

Cheers

Rick