From:
"Guido T. Poppe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:39:36 +0100
Hello,

depends how one sees this complex species:

as for me, the ones from the Mediterranean and the Canary Islands ones,
shallow, are very much the same. However, I dived already at 25 m deep
typical shells of the form cascabullorum: white base, smaller, more globose,
different spotting.

When one goes south to the Cape Verde Islands, the result of the findings is
very different: you get populations very much as the normal thing found in
the Mediterranean, but also populations from the sanctahelenae form, which
is close to the acicularis from the Caribbean. But in one batch, one will
find slender and triangular shaped shells, but all with a white base. Some
hard to distinguish from acicularis...

Guido

Visit Conchology, with over 50000 names with author, 3800 indicated type
species, 5000 conchological images, and fun with shells.
http://www.conchology.be/
For Information on A Conchological Iconography
http://www.conchology.be/iconography/iconography.html
Register, consult, comment and search
http://www.animals4ever.com