From:
Henk and Zvia Mienis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 13:20:11 +0200
Dear Paolo,

Most of the information given by you concerning collecting molluscs in
Israel is correct except for one thing: 50 % of the collected material has
to go to an institute in Israel. Israel has only two recognized National
Mollusc Collections: one is at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, the other
is part of the Tel Aviv University. I happen to be the curator of both
collections: at the HUJ for the last 30 years and at the TAU for the last
two years. None of these institutes have received any material from
licensed-collectors via the Nature Reserves Authority (now the Israel Nature
and National Parks Protection Authority). I have received from the NRA (now
INNPPA) mollusc material which had been confiscated in shops, at the borders
(especially near Taba), etc.
My own opinion concerning the current restrictions in shell collecting in
Israel is clear from the title of a note which has just been published:
Mienis, H.K., 2002. Israel's conservation law interferes with cooperation
between amateur collectors and scientific institutions. Tentacle, 10: 12.

Best regards,

Henk K. Mienis
Curator National Mollusc Collections at the HUJ and TAU