From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:36:05 -0500
Linda,

Since apparently the regular list musselheads are gone for the day, I will
answer.  Joseph Morrison attempted to sort some of the naiad names out at
the 1969 AMU in which he demonstrated L. cardium Rafinesque, 1820 precedes
our more familiar know name of L. ventricosa Barnes, 1823.  Morrison relates
"The fog over the earliest names for North American naiads was laid down
when Issac Lea got steamed up in personal prejudice.  Lea proved he knew
Rafinesques's 1820 names when in 1829 he renamed one of the 3 homonyms
created by Rafineque. . ." AMU Annual Report for 1969, p. 23.  Lea did not
like Rafinsque, Lea did not like Conrad, Lea did not like a lot of people.
Lea named every conceiveable variety a new species in the Unionidae and
generally did things which will keep unio workers employed for years trying
to sort out.
End of shell related part so the rest of you can go onto the next posted
message.

Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, FL

Linda, anything of interest at the St. Louis club meeting last Wednesday?
Did Norm and Kelly get back from Belize yet? Is Larry planning any land
shell outings for the club this spring?  Got some neat naiades from Brazil
today.   I'm planning on going to AMU as well as COA this year, and hope to
get over to Sanibel for the next good low tide.
Alan