From:
Maurizio Perini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 20:11:26 +0200
Dear Friends,

Thank you for your clear answers. If I've correctly understood
there are 3 levels:

"Simple" collector (Art wrote) => Conchologist => Malacologist

with infinite inter-grades between them.  I think the CONCH-Lers
are mostly conchologists, few are "Simple" collectors and very
few are Malacologists.

After your messages I made a small research on these two words.
"Malacologist" is derived from ancient Greek "malakos" meaning
"soft" ("molle" in Italian).
The word "Conchologist" is derived from Latin "conchylium"
meaning "shell" ( "conchiglia" in Italian).

So that Paul Monfils is right when he wrote : " A malacologist is
a zoologist specializing in the philum Mollusca. A conchologist
studies/collects shells".

Thanks again !!

Ciao!!

Maurizio