Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 02:31:45 -0500
> Hi Phil,

I have a batch of Cepaea nemoralis collected near Richmond, BC in the
mid 1980's...I've noticed fading, especially in the specimens which had
shades of pink. The intense yellows are also a bit more "straw-colored"
than when fresh. While the yellows are still identifiable as yellow, the
pinks have definately "browned out".  I'd say I noticed the pink
beginning to fade after about 3 years. According to my friend who
collected these, pink was definately the least common coloration.

Conversely, I also have pink Auris, "Papuina", and yellow Naninia which
have not faded a whit after 20 years; not to mention Polymita, Liguus,
and Amphidromus...which all seem relatively colorfast. Must be a "Cepaea
thing" :).

As an aside, I'd like to point out the "hidden" wonders to be
appreciated in temperate land snail species. Take notice of the
sculpture, dentition and periostracum...all fascinating details, if only
one takes notice! If some of the more remarkable micros were an inch or
more in size, I think demand would easily outstrip supply.

Wishing a stereoscope to all,

Ken Zentzis
Wichita, Kansas