From:
Robert Avent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 09:56:12 -0400
     Hello Art,

     Because there are western boundary currents analogous to the Gulf
     Stream in other places, like the Kurishio, Brazil, and Agulhas
     Currents, I would assume that the conditions might be appropriate for
     Sargassum-type communities. But I have no specific information.  Get
     on the net and look around, or (shiver) go to a library and read
     stuff.

     I doubt that ships have any real effect except except locally and
     temporarily.  I'll bet one hurricane would have the effect of years
     worth of shipping.

     Bob Avent