From:
"Paolo G. Albano" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 22:58:12 +0200
Dear Jan,
I have never heard about a Glycymeris inflata Brocchi, 1814 neither as a
synonym in the Mediterranean.
Glycymeris violascens is at present time a synonym of Glycymeris insubrica
Brocchi, 1814 (might a mispelling have occured?).
Glycymeris insubrica is a species found from Pliocene to recent times.
Hoping this may help a little,
Paolo

At 09.32 13/05/02 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I am forwarding you a message (see below my signature) we received from
>Dr Carlos Duarte, concerning the status of Glycymeris inflata Broch,
>1814. The main questions to be answered here are: does the species
>Glycymeris inflata exist? Does any of you know of documented records of
>recent specimina of this mollusc? And can any of you give some remarks
>on the relationship between G. inflata and G. violascens? I would like
>to encourage all of you to react and give your points of view, because
>the background of this question (the credibility of biodiversity
>research and its arguments in conservation issues) is to be taken very
>seriously.
>
>With warm regards from Belgium,
>
>Jan Haspeslagh

Paolo Giulio ALBANO