From:
Burton Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 12:31:10 -0700
Paul,

The fluke, Dicrocelium dendriticum, which infects sheep and cattle is picked
up from grasses. Its complex life cycle involves fluke eggs consumed by a
snail, fluke cercaria consumption in snail mucus by ants, and return to
mammals via grass & ant consumption. The cited work, which I do not have at
hand, is Schmidt & Roberts, "Foundations of Parasitology," 1981 --probably
very species specific as to snail host, and an unlikely problem with good
cooking practice, as you said-- I'll try to run down the snail species.

I would worry about heavy metals like arsenic (weed control), and tetraethyl
lead if it is still being added to gasoline.

-Burton