From:
Lindsey Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:26:26 -0700
Bob:

        Yes, it is a mispelling.  The correct spelling is Plaxiphora, which is
also in the family Mopaliidae.  However, as the original genus was Chiton,
it must be cited as Plaxiphora aurata (Spalowsky, 1795).

Aloha,

Lindsey

At 01:57 PM 7/3/02 EDT, you wrote:
>Have a chiton that I am trying to place in its family, but so far have been
>unable to. Placiphora aurata Spalowsky, 1795 from Argentina. In Abbott's
>American Seashells, second edition page 403, I came across the genus
>Placiphorella Carpenter in Dall, 1879. Listed as synonyms or subgenera is
>Placophora. Is my Placiphora merely a misspelling? If so, then the family
>for this species would be Mopaliidae, but would the genus be Placophora or
>Placiphorella?
>
> Bob Granda
> Panama City, Florida
Lindsey T. Groves
Collection Manager, Malacology Section
900 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90007
(213) 763-3376 (voice)
(213) 746-2999 (Fax)