From:
"Emilio J. Power" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:40:41 -0400
Hello!

It seems to be a viable way of obtaining deepwater molluscs
and many molluscs used to be only found this way.

As to what fish ?? It depends on the area. Here in Florida I
used to do quite a bit of deepwater [220 to 600 ft] fishing
for bottom dwellers such as snappers, groupers and others
[tilefish as bycatch]. When we pulled the fish to the surface
slowly [rod and reel, sportfishing] or fast [wire line with
electric reel, meatfishing] the gut was always, without exception,
protruding from the mouth, empty. This is due to swimbladder
expanding as a cause of pressure change. We never saw any shells
or any other material.

I wonder how others do find them in deepwater fish. The gut
protrusion was not a problem with pelagic fish but these dont
eat shells anyway. We also never saw the pressure change
on fish caught at the reef edge in about 120 ft depth.

Where are you going to "hunt" for these??

Emilio