From:
"R. Goldberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:09:26 -0500
David,
Long before the State of Florida altered the balance of nature by widening
the Florida Keys A1A highway, specimens of Cypraea cervus and zebra could
be found in fair numbers near the Duck Key Causeway.  More than a handful
of specimens that I found there over a ten year period were incredibly
dark; seemingly black as you describe the Cypraea cervinetta from Costa
Rica.  Alas, over time the rich dark hues of these Macrocypraea faded to
the more earthy tones often associated with these two species.  I suspect
that this may be the case with your Cypraea cervinetta.  Grant it, even
with time-induced fading, these dark shells tend fade to a lesser degree
than shells that start out being a lighter shade of color.  Just a brief
and simple observation from the Atlantic side of things.
Rich
worldwideconchology.com