From:
Worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 22:21:00 -0600
Laura,

Mark has adeptly answered your question.  Glossy shells will not really
benefit from the mineral oil/naphtha solution.  The solution is not going
to add gloss to your shells.  The natural gloss of a shell will not need
maintenance either unless it becomes coated with years of dust.

Glossy shells exposed to dust will, over a period of time, become dull and
lusterless.  Washing a glossy shell in some luke warm water and mild soap
will do more to brighten up the shell's appearance than any solution.  For
that matter, almost any shell which has a coating of dust or grime can
benefit from a quick washing.  After drying completely, coat a non-glossy
shell with some mineral oil.  My approach, though, has been not to use
anything on a shell unless absolutely necessary.

The bottom line is, no matter what solution you use -- mineral oil -- WD-40
-- liquid vaseline -- your shells will benefit.  You should try various
solutions and evaluate the results yourself.  You can then better determine
which works best for you.  You may find that mineral oil works best for
some shells, and WD-40 and liquid vaseline for others.

Let's face it, once a shell is removed from the ocean, it's pigments are
going to fade.  To what extent and how rapidly depends on the methods of
storage, temperature, and humidity.  The various solutions will help
enhance and possibly prolong the coloration.  Try out some of these methods
and let us know how you do.

Rich

At 07:41 AM 6/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Rich,
>
>Do you not use anything on Cypraea, Oliva or Marginella? As a beginning
>sheller, I've been told to put just mineral oil on everything.  What do
>you suggest.  I realize that these three families already have there
>shine, but don't you need to use something to maintain this?
>
>Laura

>Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Richard L. Goldberg
Worldwide Specimen Shells
http://www.erols.com/worldwide