From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:38:22 +1300
>Hello Cindy
>You Can use ArmorAll to preserve the luster of the shell,
>and the periostracum if present, and not for animal presivation.
>Leslie
>
>I hate to bring this up, but remember reading that someone said to use
>Armorall to clean shells, but to either use the cleaner and NOT the
>preservative or vice versa.  Can you tell me which it was?  Thank you.  Cindy
>
>The opinions, comments, and advice offered by me here are mine alone.
>As such, they carry as much weight as a feather in a snow storm.

Beware using ArmorAll on ANYTHING. It destroys car vinyl (yes, it
does! It should be illegal to sell it... likewise Motor Up, which
destroys mechanical any components it comes into contact with).

I'm not sure what ArmorAll contains which damages plastics, but
whatever, it does attack organics (got this info from a member of the
Vanagon.com list). Perhaps it breaks up polymers.

To preserve the organics (especially opercs & periostracum) use
paraffin oil, a light colorless odorless oil which will not
deteriorate or absorb water (glycerine/glycerol will absorb moisture
from the atmosphere, apparently).
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand