From:
Allen Aigen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:54:06 GMT
Linda,
The inner layer in the pectens is aragonite.  Perhaps there is an organic layer connecting the two which is more easily dissolved.

From: lindawbush <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Shell composition from Re: crepidulas and mussels
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 07:44:16 -0500

Hi, All!

In reference to the calcie/aragonite topic, I am wondering
if the presence of calcite in some shells is responsible
for their "misbehavior" in bleach, or if it is the
presence of more organic matter in them.  I have noticed
that the inner layer of some Pectinids is very touchy to
the beach and consequently watch them carefully.  Other
shells can stay indefinitely in bleach without damage.

Comments?

Cordially,
Linda

Allen Aigen