From:
"Monfils, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:57:42 -0500
Hi Toni,

The first shell is Cypraea lurida rhodeislandensis Monfils, 2003.  (hehe)
In side view, I thought it was an immature Cypraea carneola, but fortunately
you provided end views, and those four dark spots indicate it is not C.
carneola.  It looks to me like an immature Cypraea lurida, from the
Mediterranean - a strange find indeed on a Rhode Island beach, and not a
species commonly found in tourist shop assortments either!  The limpet also
looks like a Mediterranean or at least European species, probably Patella
coerulea.  The second shell is a Donax species.  I can't say for sure which
species it is, but at 27 mm, it's pretty big for the common American Donax
variabilis, and I don't think it is that species.  I wonder if it might be
one of the several European species of Donax, given the apparent European
source of the other two?  I wonder how these might have ended up on your
local beach (which is also my local beach)??

Regards,
Paul M.