From:
ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 18:43:48 -0500
You wrote:I've been asked for my answer about why we should keep our
collections, I'll share it with those interested (or can't
get to the 'DELETE' button fast enough).

One word -- HOPE. Our knowledge is lacking now but we hope that
our collection, with it data, will become valuable when the
foundation of knowledge has grown enough to extract relevant
information from what we have -- HOPEfully, in our lifetimes, so that
some degree of gratification will be achieved.

So, hang in there, collectors. There is Hope.

Aloha,

Bob Dayle

Yes and you are absolutely right . All collections are valuable as long as
the eventual goal of the collection is to educate. A collection that is
only for fondling is a waste of shells, a collection that is brought out
and exhibited is the most valuable.
With the destruction of shell habitat {this topic has been thoroughly
dragged out} even a common shell will become desirable. In anticipation of
this epoch I have learned several technics of repairing shells in such a
way that the repair is virtually undetectable. Of course I indicate when a
shell has been doctored.
About a year back my collection was a hodge podge of shells, basically my
guidelines were anything that crawls. I have found focus as now {with a few
small exceptions}my collection is only conus. I do miss my cypraea maculata
and angaria victordani though. My plan is to build a great collection of
conus and eventually donate them to a worthy institution, preferably a
large one in Washington. I hope to create something that will outlast me
and go one to educate and further our cause