From:
Allen Aigen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:23:48 GMT
Conch-L,
For those readers who are not members of the Conchologists of America, and therefore not getting the journal American Conchologist (Vol. 30, No 4), I would like to let you know what you are missing:
"An Amazon Rain Forest Shelling Adventure"--interestingly written and beautifully illustrated by Jose Coltro Jr.;
"Columellar folds - why are they there?"-- an original study by Rebecca M. Price, using a grant from COA;
"Report on molluscan species found in the offshore waters of Louisiana, including many extensions of known range and un-named species"--a list of 385 species by E.F. Garcia and H.G. Lee;
"Japanese Malacologists of the 20th Century No. 1. Tetsuaki Kira (1888-1965) by Iwao Taki.  Translated by Paul Callomon, this allows the non-Japanese to understand some of the most important people and events in Japanese malacology;
"Shell Collecting in Iceland-Part 1 the colors--text by Eriendur Okon and striking photos by Dan Karmeli put an otherwise drab fauna in a new light;
"A close encounter with a live Tonna galea (Linne, 1758) and its eggs"--text by P. G. Albano, photos by Roberto Perella. This was on Conch-L first, but it is nice to have a well printed copy;
"Unexpected molluscan finds from the hydrocarbon vents off the Louisiana coast" by E. F. Garcia, photos by H. G. Lee, document a poorly known fauna not dependent on sunlight as an ultimate energy source.;
"Fasciolaria Species (Tulip Shells) of the Pliocene to Recent of Southern Florida" by myself.  This study charts the evolution of the group in southern Florida and the Gulf of Mexico, reducing five named forms to subspecific level, and seven to synonyms.  This was written for a general audience, so if the concepts of evolution are too obvious, or the geology is too simplified for you, please bear with me.  It is meant as an introduction for most of the readers. I include a family tree showing all the names discussed, in a historical/paleoenvironmental framework.  For anyone who collects the recent tulip shells, or the fossil forms, this study is for you.  If you are interested in a well documented study of evolution of a group, fossil and recent, this is a good first try.  I am now working to expand the study to include the entire western Atlantic, Miocene to Recent, and have found that there are a few problems not apparent in the smaller study.  Anyone interested, or who would like to work with me, please let me know privately.
Allen Aigen

Allen Aigen