From:
Alfonso Pina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:41:06 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "mike gray" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: common names

> In most fields, scientists are able to switch easily between scientific
> and common names. Disdain for common names seems to be peculiar to
> malacology, and among malacologists it seems to be a badge of "serious"
> collecting versus the kind that puts a smile on yer face.
>
> The buyer of a specimen, whether it is a conch or an azalea, is wise to
> know and use the scientific name. It happens that some of my best
> friends are fishermen or kids (some are both!) and I speak their
> language as well.
>
> Bilingualism is not a sin.

Mike,

Bilingualism is really a blessing: it increases sustantially the amount of
people you can interact with.

I am not against the use of common names where they should be used. What I
am against is in its use INSTEAD of scientific names whenever these ones can
be used. The reasons why this is so has been extensively discussed yet, and
I must say I found some reactions a little exaggerated: using it or not
depends clearly of the context. But, whatever you choose, you must face the
inconveniences: unaccuracy and changes from place to place for common names
and taxonomical disagreements and changes from time to time for scientific
ones.

Regards,

Alfonso Pina
Málaga, Spain