From:
"Pearce, Timothy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:33:05 -0500
MID-ATLANTIC MALACOLOGISTS
Fifth annual meeting

Saturday 1 March 2001 10:00 am
Delaware Museum of Natural History
4840 Kennett Pike, Box 3937, Wilmington, DE 19807, U.S.A.
Host: Kevin J. Roe, Curator of Mollusks Delaware Museum of
Natural History

   The sixth annual meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Malacologists (MAM) will
occur Saturday 1 March 2003, starting 10:00 am at the Delaware
Museum of Natural History (DMNH) in Wilmington, Delaware. This one-day
gathering will facilitate contact among professional, amateur, and
student malacologists who are interested in any aspect of mollusks.
Participants will present and discuss data, compare notes on methods and
problems, and stay informed of research activities and opportunities.
Even busy malacologists have time to attend this one-day meeting.
   Presentations (up to 15-20 minutes) are usually informal and include
talks ranging from research interests, trip reports, and ideas you wish
to discuss with other malacologists. A 35 mm slide projector and
overhead projector will be available, as will wall and table space for
posters. There will also be a LCD projector (Windows compatible) and laptop
for those with PowerPoint presentations. Please bring PowerPoint
presentations on a CD (preferred) or zip disk (250 or 100 mb).
   We will have hot beverages and refreshments in the morning. There are
several nearby restaurants for lunch. After the meeting, participants
are welcome to visit and use the extensive mollusk reference collection
and library at DMNH.
   Meeting and parking are free of charge. There are no dues, officers,
abstracts, or publications.

Getting there
Driving: take I-95 to Wilmington, Delaware and take exit 7 (hwy 52
north). Stay left, take the left fork staying on Pennsylvania Ave.
Continue north for 5 miles; road becomes Kennett Pike. DMNH is a large
mustard-colored building on the left (west), 0.5 mi before entrance to
Winterthur. Parking is free. See map on DMNH web site,
http://www.delmnh.org/gennf.htm.
   Amtrak Train and Greyhound Bus stations are located near each other
in downtown Wilmington. A taxi can take you and your friends to DMNH for
$11 or $12. Unfortunately, city buses do not run to DMNH on Saturdays.

Accommodations
   For those wishing to spend the night in the Wilmington area, three
nearby hotels are:
BEST WESTERN BRANDYWINE VALLEY INN, 1807 Concord Pike, Wilmington, (302)
656-9436 or (800) 528-1234.
HOLIDAY INN, 4000 Concord Pike, Wilmington, (302) 478-2222 or (800)
465-4329.
DAYS INN, 5209 Concord Pike, Wilmington, (302) 478-0300 or (800)
445-0852.
   Directions to DMNH from all three hotels: Go south on Concord Pike
(Rt. 202), turn right onto Rt. 141 (going west). Get off 141 at exit for
Rt. 52 North - Greenville. Continue north on Rt. 52 (Kennett Pike)
approximately 2 miles. DMNH is a large mustard-colored building on the
left side of the road.

   For more information or to say you will attend and/or give a talk,
contact Kevin J. Roe at the address below.
   We hope the upcoming storm will not interfere with our meeting.  Barring
a second "white-out," we look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

Kevin J. Roe Ph.D., Curator of Mollusks
Delaware Museum of Natural History
4840 Kennett Pike, P.O. Box 3937
Wilmington, DE USA 19807