From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:29:00 -0500
Ed,

"Half-breed" is only a popular term implying mixed
parentage. As I suggested in the brief text piece
which accompanies that page, there are ample shells
which gradually intergrade from schilderorum to
sulcidentata to strongly suggest that these are all
manifestations of one genetic entity. This would mean
that none of these shells represent hybrids, just
intergrading forms of the same gene pool. Of course,
this is not a readily accepted idea but that doesn't
make it invalid.

Though much of the data for the shells are given there,
other notes show that one "cross-breed," #268, was
one of a 'mated pair' (two live animals taken in very
close proximity of one another). Its mate, #269, is a
typical schilderorum.

I hope that clarifies my perspective on these shells.
I have a few other 'hybrids' of this type but they are
less mature and not fit for incusion on that page.
This isn't the forum for long explanations so I'll leave
it at this. I hope that helps.

Aloha,

Bob Dayle
http://www.cowrys.org/research/xbreeds.htm