From:
Bob Abela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 12:28:38 +1000
Hi all,

I've found it difficult photographing live murex, bursids, etc. Even if
active, they tend to conceal themselves and limit photographic
possibilities. In the past, I've resorted to placing them with their
shell upsidedown in an aquarium and then patiently waiting for the
animal to upright itself. When this happens, there are only a few
precious seconds to catch the fully extended animal on film. Or else
it's try, try again. Sometimes I give up with frustration.

I bring this up because I just collected a live Phyllocoma convoluta and
photographing the animal is proving to be difficult.

Suggestions? Perhaps I can lure it with food?

It was found at 60 ft, under a small, solitary, and bare piece of coral
rubble; the rubble resting over a small pocket of clean coral sand;
along a gently sloping reef flat.

There was no obvious clue as to diet. If I can find this out, then
keeping it alive may prove to be a simple matter.
Any thoughts?

Bob Abela
Tamuning, Guam