From:
Peter Froehlich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 20:10:07 -0500
Would you folks please just CHILL.

I live in Maine and have spent the last four days hauling water, feeding
our wood stove and making dinner by the light of a lantern because the ice
storm of the century took out our power.  I was looking forward to getting
back on line and reading the back log of messages from Conch-L.

Unfortunately the first two messages were the mis-sent missives and we seem
to keep getting back in that same sort of rut again and again.

Please, if you feel someone has flamed you reply to them directly.  This
sort of thing is usually easier to get straightened out without an
audience.

Just so I don't break our rule about always having something shell related
in each message I have the following question.

Does anyone have a suggestion for preserving the black periostracum on
bivalves like Modiolus modiolus?  From what has been said earlier I gather
that with a mixture of patience and mineral oil I could remove the
periostracum but some how the shell doesn't look "right" without it.  Any
suggestions?

Oh, yes.  Art, we haven't heard from your octopus in the basement.
Anything new to report?

Beth DeHaas