From:
Charles F Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:06:34 -0500
Linda,
  Since there are a number of manufacturers of items, until one can be
assured that all are safe it is "let the buyer beware". If you can assure
yourself that the particle board is safe, fine; if in doubt do without.

  Yes, polyethylene zip-lock bags will help. They will create a
microclimate around the shell. They limit gas diffusion and fluctuations
in relative humidity. More and more of my specimens are finding themselves
in zip-lock bags. I have lost fewer specimens such as Pyganodon and
Anodonta to cracking since using zip-lock bags and a dehumidifier.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History
                     Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine