From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:24:51 -0700
The activities of the little stromb sound interesting.

I have a little digital camera, a low-end Canon Elph that I picked up
on sale. I saw it marked down to $129 at Staples a month back! It is a
super camera, much superior to the HP junk I had been suffering until
it tanked. The software of the Canon is very Mac friendly and the whole
thing is no bigger than a pack of filterless camel cigarettes.

My only complaint with this camera is that the switch that flips back
and forth between the still function and "video" function is so small,
that I sometimes inadvertantly switch it to video. I'm usually using
the camera on a tripod to photograph my tiles, so nothing is moving. It
takes me a minute to figure out why I have filled the whole dang memory
card.

It doesn't take a lot of "video", just a couple of seconds. But it
might be just the thing to catch specific movements.

I have a very silly chicken, a month-old Polish top hat who likes to
hop up on the rim of the brooder box and sleep there. He just slumps
forward and his neck and head hang like a limp noodle. As if that
wasn't funny enough, his head moves up and down as he breathes, giving
him the look of a poultry accordian. I was thinking of using the video
function to capture this movement. As a loop, with a snore dubbed, it
would be a hoot. When I read about the conch periscope, it occurred to
me that the camera would work for that too. Extreme close-ups are no
problem. I can shoot tiles from 4 inches away with great clarity.

I am very taken with this Canon, but I'm sure lots of digital still
cameras offer this feature. Just stay away from HP. They're junk and
their customer service is miserable.