Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 22:54:09 -0400
Peter,

Don't be depressed and certainly don't bow out now ... if you are anxious
about hand-carrying shells back into Canada (which is probably unfounded)
then most hotels provide concierge services that handle the business needs
of their hotel guests including shipping boxes.  I'm sure the convention
hotel will oblige, especially since you are associated with a hotel
convention as an attendee.

If you carefully pack your shells in a sturdy box and have it pre-labeled
for shipping back to your home, I'm sure the hotel concierge staff will
gladly ship the box for you on Monday via your preferred shipping method.
I do this all of the time when I travel and have a significant number of
shells to send back.  I just did this the other day since I am on travel
now. The hotel will charge your credit card number for the total shipping
amount.  Come to the convention with packing material, folded down boxes
and packing tape that you will need to pack the shells you purchase at the
auction and bourse.

Call the convention hotel to find out in advance what you will need to do
to have their concierge staff mail your boxes.  See which shipping methods
they can provide (United States Postal Service; United Parcel Service-UPS;
or companies like FedEx and Airborne).  Check the Web sites of these
various shippers and know their regulations for shipping into Canada from
the U.S.  Make sure the hotel knows that you need the parcel sent to Canada
so that they can anticipate whatever customs forms the shipper requires.
In fact, have the shipper's forms ready in advance. Mark  the form
"Seashells for Scientific Study - No Commercial Value" and you are
good-to-go.

If you are still unsure about hand-carrying purchased seashells into
Canada, check your government's import regulations or with the agency that
administers  customs regulations.  If, in fact, there are still some
vagaries about the regulations for bringing shells back into Canada, then
maybe the dealers you purchase from can provide you (and others in similar
situations) with letters on business letterhead stating that the shells you
have purchased are not bound by any national or international wildlife ban,
including CITES.  This actually is a good idea and I may bring some form
letters to hand out on request.

Educate yourself before heading to Tacoma and I'm sure you will do just
fine.  But don't let anyone talk you out of attending.  Hope to see you
there.

Rich
www.worldwideconchology.com