From:
jean-paul vanweert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 00:22:15 -0700
Sorry Marcus,
But New Zealand customs actually know very well what
they are looking for.
The previous year I have travelled to and from
Auckland several times, each time carrying shells with
me, always declared and I have always been treated
very well.
From what I have experienced the best informed costums
I've come across until now.
Jean-Paul

--- Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------------------------------

The link to CITES is

http://www.cites.org/eng/append/latest_appendices.shtml

However, there are just a few shells included in this
list: All Tridacnidae, many Unionidae, the whole
Achatinellidae family (Hawaii), Papustyla pulcherrima
(Green snail) and Strombus gigas (which is nonsense
since you can buy its meat all over the Caribbean...).

Since no one at customs knows anything about shells,
you need to be careful when talking to them. In New
Zealand they asked me if I had a "pink shell"
(Strombus gigas) - as they were told we were not
supposed to carry any of these. But they did not know
how a S. gigas look like....

Marcus

MARCUS COLTRO

WWW.FEMORALE.COM