From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:09:05 -0400
Hi Linda,

The operculums of Melongena corona can be quite varied, even
within localized colonies, and certainly with widely scattered
populations. It is very easy (once you get a feel for it) to recognize
'percs, even without the shell. Tulips have a very smooth 'perc,
while M. corona has a somewhat rougher 'perc with distinct
growth lines. Obviously, the size of the shell may be a factor,
as well. Without seeing the "pointed ones" you are describing,
I couldn't tell you if it's a mistake or just the way those shells
grew their "doors."

Jim