From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 02:02:08 +0000
        Linda was looking for "lists of [presumably mollusc shell] photos".
I've been thinking of putting together such a list for a long time,
perhaps with a search engine involved so one could inquire about
specific species  within this list.  That said, given that i'm about 10
years behind im my work already, and that i have no desire to re-invent
the wheel, is there such a beast on the net already?  Perhaps instead of
a search engine, a list of photos, with links to the page that contains
them, could be maintained by several people  - each with their own
taxonomic territory: many of the 25 to 30 dealers and hundred or so
collectors, and maybe two dozen clubs that maintain significant on-line
photo galleries would probably be glad to participate in such a project.
 There must be hundreds of thousands of shell photos on the web (heck,
i've got a couple of thousand species and forms on my little site
alone!), of perhaps 15,000 - 20,000 species: wouldn't it be great to
have a "master index" to this treasure trove of riches??
        Is this a pipe dream, or a viable possibiltity?  Realistically, i just
don't have time to spearhead the effort, but would be more than willing
to work with a couple of eager beavers (or screaming eagles, as the case
may be.....) to make it a reality.  What is needed most, is someone with
a lot of determination, to direct the affair and keep it going until
something worthwhile emerges - any takers?

From the Great Wet North,
Ross M.