From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:48:54 +1200
>I hope you are all set for a relaxing weekend. Concerning the
>discussions regarding digital cameras, I am constantly amazed by what
>people put up on eBay,

What bugs me is the price variation from dealer to dealer in the US.
The Coolpix 5700 can be had for as little as $615, but you can pay up
to $1199 for the same basic kit!! www.bizrate.com and similar sites
can find you the cheap prices, with dealer feedback.

>I'm currently using a Minolta Dimage 7 (5.24MP) and while it is
>capable of producing excellent images, more often than not, the auto
>focus takes a ridiculously long time to work and inevitably the shots
>need a good deal of Photoshop tweaking to be useable. The newer
>Dimage 7Hi is far superior, as Minolta has been great about
>responding to user feedback.

I was looking at the Sony Cybershot DSC-F717 (best resolution in the
class, 5.24Mp), but it needs Sony-only memory sticks ($$). Olympus,
Canon, Pentax make no equivalent with a decent resolution. Minolta
makes 2 cameras with excellent reviews, but they are not
learner-friendly and eat batteries at a horrific rate. The only other
option was the Coolpix; its disadvantage is only 5.0Mp resolution.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand