From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:48:54 +1200
>Both of these offers are outside the realm of ebay's protections, so
>"run away" and "don't look back." eBay cautions its users against
>doing business outside of their auctions because of the lack of safe
>guards, such as the feed back forum.
>
>I have never received an offer like this but as has already been
>said "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
>
>By far the majority of users I ahve dealt with on eBay are great
>people. I have made friends with some I would not have met
>otherwise. These sound like bad apples.
>
>I would not access any links within an e-mail like this. Go to the
>eBay website to access their feedbacks, if you are curious.
>
>I don't know, but I might report this to eBay.  It is one thing for
>a seller that you have a bid with to contact you, but third parties?
>
>And, why won't eBay accept their credit card?
>
>Too many red flags here.
>
>John Timmerman

Well-put. Both offers did come through the eBay e-mail system, with
eBay's stock disclaimer footers. Both possibly came from the same
sender, using pirated return address, used ID and feedback.

The offered prices were $560 and $400US, for a camera costing minimum
$615 retail. So they were not outrageously low.

Ebay/PayPal are not secure, so if the seller doesn't send, you are
totally out of luck; there's no comeback for a shorted buyer.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand