From:
Michael Hölling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:57:57 +0200
Let me throw in my two cents by now...
If the switch from lecitotrophic to planktotrophic is controlled by some
environmental variable, like e.g. population density, then it could go forth
and back from one generation to the next, depending on the environmental
conditions. An animal issued from a planktotrophic egg will probably come to
another location, where it could lay lecitotrophic eggs (provided it finds a
mate; land pulmonates, which I mostly deal with, are not so demanding. OK,
dispersal of land snails would be another thread).
The mate could also be the descendant of a local, currently lecitotrophic
population. As long as there are no mechanisms restricting the gene flow
between different subpopulations, there will be no species split.
Greetings from Germany
Michael