From:
"Kim C. Hutsell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:44:06 -0700
Dear Conch-L'ers,

As some of you know by now, The La Jolla Cave & Shell Shop is going out
of business. To be more precise...being forced out of business. Last week
an article was published about the closure in the La Jolla Light, a local
paper. What follows is an exert from that article.  I thought some of you
might find the comments of the land owner James William Allen (who is a
golf manufacturer and ultimately responsible for the closure)interesting
...especially the second paragraph.

From the article by Dave Schwab, Light Business Editor, Thursday, June
11, 1998

        "As much as tourists are good for our economy — they've taken
over our city," he said.  "I've quizzed a lot of people and they're
reaction is always the same: They've been to the shell shop, but it was
15 years ago, and they'll be upset it's going ... but.  It's like that
Polaroid camera that's been in your closet that you haven't used in 30
years."
        "There also are some drawbacks to sea shell retail," added Allen,
pointing out he's been told by institutions like Scripps Oceanographic
that reefs are being destroyed around the world by shell "miners"
prospecting to fill the needs of retail outlets like La Jolla Cave &
Shell Shop.

Comments from all you 'miners' out there are welcome.

Kim Hutsell
Field Research, Marine Malacology
San Diego