From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:42:52 -0500
Francesco Guarracino wrote:

>Dear Conchlers,
>I have a simple question regarding shell storing. I store my shell
>collection in drawers made of white plastic, under normal indoor
>environmental conditions, and no direct sunlight. The temperature is not
>particulary warm or cold (I live in Italy), but I don't know the percentage
>of relative humidity - please note that at the moment the drawers are in my
>bedroom... Well, sometimes when I touch my cowries they appear coarse, like
>dried, but this condition diseappear when I clean them with a soft cloth (I
>have to rub them...).

>What do you think about? Just dust? Any suggestion re. the right
>temperature and relative humidity? I'd like to control environmental
>factors ....

>Thanks.
>Francesco Guarracino
>Rome, Italy

++++++++++++++++++++

Francesco,

It is worse than just dust. It is dust mixed with oil. Some oil is given off
by the
plastic, some comes from human skin. Static electric charges cause the tiny
oil droplets to be drawn out of the surrounding air and stick to almost
everything:
walls, mirrors,... shells.

Often oil is acidic and, in time, may dull the gloss of shiny finishes. I
store
cowries in new zip poly bags, i.e., essentially airtight . Some have been in
them
for 15 years and still show no adverse effects.

Good luck.

Bob Dayle (a.k.a. 'makuabob')
http://www.cowrys.org

Share holiday photos without swamping your Inbox.  Get MSN Extra Storage
now!  http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es