From:
John Caldeira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:13:13 -0500
Howdy folks,

Conch-Lers are generally good spellers, but a few mistakes keep showing up
in Conch-L notes.  I'm not a spelling-bee champion or anything but, for
those who care, here we go:

SHELLER'S SPELLING GUIDE
------------------------

You're:  You are ("You're gonna break that shell if ya don't pack it
better, Ardeth!")
Your:    Possessive pronoun ("Anne, your wallet is gonna suffer at the
auction.")

Loose:  Not tied down ("Boy, I'm hoping the COA convention has a lot of
loose babes!")
Lose:  Opposite of find ("You'll lose that cute little operculum if ya
don't glue it to something")

They're:  They are ("They're gonna inspect your bags at the airport, Sharon")
Their:  Belonging to them ("Their panties must be in a wad if they don't
award Gene first place!")
There:  Not here ("The best sand trails are way over there, stranger.")

Where:  Question word: ("Where's that ol' trespassing sign, Judy?")
Were:  Past tense of "are": ("I thought we were on the right side of the
boundary; now please put down that shotgun!")

It's:  It is ("It's gonna be a negative low tide in half an hour, so let's
get moving!")
Its:  Possessive ("Ooooh, I didn't realize its proboscis was so big!")

Then:  Not now  ("Then Wayne put the shell inside his dive belt, where the
eco-dive master couldn't see it")
Than:  Comparative ("The water is colder than a witch's behind!")

Which:  Comparative  ("Which of you ol' whores is bidding against me in the
silent auction?")
Witch:  Flies on a broom ("That little witch out-bid me!")

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
John

P.s.: I've been really satisfied with Horatio Buck's cabinets.  They give
an illusion that a shell collection is really organized.

John Caldeira
Dallas, Texas       [log in to unmask]
http://home.earthlink.net/~jcaldeira/beekeeping/