From:
G Thomas Watters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:51:24 -0500
In Ohio (where Art resides), the aquarium Ramshorn is usually either
Planorbella trivolvis (Say, 1817) (which, while native to the area,
probably came from somewhere else) or the exotic Marisa cornuarietis
(Linneaus, 1758). Trivolvis is a smallish, brown snail (maybe to 3/4 inch)
whereas Marisa is large (1.5-2 inches), usually boldly striped. Marisa is
actually an atypical ampullariid. Trivolvis usually ends up in your
aquarium from purchasing aquatic plants - most shops don't sell trivolvis.
Marisa is usually sold as an aquarium specimen. Albino Marisa are popular
and are golden in color. Marisa is from Central and South America.

At 10:52 AM 2/13/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear anyone;-
>    I recently added a "Ramshorn" Snail to my freshwater aquarium. Can
> someone tell me the proper name for the beast?
>     Art
>
>PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is:
>[log in to unmask] Please update your records!

G. Thomas Watters, PhD
Curator of Molluscs
Museum of Biological Diversity
Department of Evolution, Ecology & Organismal Biology
The Ohio State University
1315 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH 43212 USA
v: 614-292-6170
f: 614-292-7774

Visit the Mollusc Division at:
http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~molluscs/OSUM2

"Let me take you, baby, down to the riverbed,
  Gotta tell you something go right to your head" - Spirit

So join the Freshwater Mollusc Conservation Society at:
http://ellipse.inhs.uiuc.edu/FMCS/index.html