Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:43:10 -0300
It looks like a Potamolitus... but i guess it is not.

Wiggers, not used to this type of animals.

 --- Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
escreveu:
---------------------------------
Re: Mystery fossilHello Conchlers, I received the following
request foridentification assistance: Could you please help me
identify thisshell I find in the archaeological deposits of Niah
Cave, Sarawak, N.Borneo. I also find it living today in the
lowland freshwater streamsjust outside the cave. The
identification of this will help theimminent completion of my
PhD thesis. Mark Stephens BSc MSc
PhD candidate
Department of Geography
Royal Holloway
University of London
Egham, Surrey
TW20 0EX
UKEmail:  [log in to unmask] If you can be of any help to
Mark, itwould be appreciated.  His mystery page can be accessed
at:
http://www.manandmollusc.net/Mystery_shell_pages/mark-mystery.html
 Please contact him privately or if you do respond to the list,I
will forward the information on to him.

Hmmm... looke like a cerithioid to me, possibly a member
ofPleuroceratidae (or is it Pleuroceridae that is correct?),
with itslack of a sharply-defined canal (pleuroceratids have a
subtlespoutlike labral flexure for a canal); Thiaridae and
Melanopsidae havesharply-defined canal.

Too big for any hydrobiid I know of... if he has any spares,
I'dbe interested, esp with operc! (and any other spp he comes
across...).Not a viviparid (I think!) or ampullariid.

So... who is going to write "Compendium of Fluvial &Brackish
Shells"? Eichhorst, Neville & Dance?

--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand

Yahoo! Mail - O melhor e-mail do Brasil! Abra sua conta agora:
http://br.yahoo.com/info/mail.html