From:
Bob Abela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:15:35 +1000
Dear Tim,

Regarding Strombus taurus, as far as I know, they are known only from
the Marianas and Marshall Islands.

Here on Guam, Strombus taurus is found along the submarine terrace and
outer reef slopes, from about 45 ft to at least 90 feet. They may be
fully exposed or buried deep in sand (either in sand pockets, sand
channels, or sandy expanses not too distant from the reef's periphery)
or on the reef. This habitat exists throughout Guam so they can be found
just about anywhere but certain localities do seem to have established
populations. But, at these locals, there are times when a single
specimen may not be seen among three or four divers, after repeated
dives. Where they go is merely speculation. Perhaps they just bury
themselves deep in sand or they move to deeper water. I shudder at the
thought of an indiscriminate collection though, however unlikely, this
too is conceivable.

The majority of specimens are in poor quality either with permanent
encrusted growth, large cracks and chips, or scars from attached
mollusks (could be a Crepidula sps but I haven't taken an opportunity to
identify them). Additionally, they blend in superbly with their
surroundings and they can easily be passed over without notice. All
said, finding fine+ and gem specimens is difficult.

Of particular interest, one friend kept a subadult specimen in his small
aquarium for several months. After providing for it's voracious appetite
(preferred brown algae), it matured into a spectacular gem.

I've had very limited luck with this species so, please, no inquiries of
trade.

Cheers,
Bob