Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:56:31 -0500
Simnia uniplicata.
    It is one of the shells I look forward to collecting at Folly Beach, South Carolina. They can only be found at low tides and in association with purple or yellow (forgive me. Al Hammer's disease has taken a lot of names from my memory bank) sprig-like branches.(sea-whips?)
    Sorry 'bout that.
    Yellow ones appear to outnumber purple by about 50-1.
    Collecting! aint it fun!
        Art

> From: Peggy Williams <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2004/03/30 Tue PM 03:04:51 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Cassis in NC
>
> > I've never found any Simnia nor seen a live one anywhere. Where do they
> > get off calling them "common"?
> >
> They are common some places - several on one gorgonian in fact. But
> they're VERY hard to spot unless you're looking specifically for them,
> and even hard then. They line up  with the gorgonian and look like a
> lump on it. If the coral animals are out, the mantle of the simnia
> mimics them.
>
> Peggy
>
>            Peggy Williams: shell collecting trips
>           Visit my website: www.Shelltrips.com
>                                PO Box 575
>                         Tallevast FL 34270
>                            (941) 355-2291

> click leave the list.

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!