From:
Kevin Czaja <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:57:56 -0400
Hi Jack,
Boston area collecting isn't the most productive, particularly in the
summer months.  I live on the south side of the city so I know that area
more intimately than the north.  If heading north, you can try Revere
Beach but it is my understanding that Revere Beach is primarily only
productive after storms (pref. winter).  I find Wollaston Beach just south
of Boston in Quincy (still reachable by the Subway), is the best Boston
Harbor collecting.  I've collected about 35 species over the years.  The
highlights for this beach are particularly large Mulina lateralis (Dwarf
Surf Clams) up to 29mm, and Large and sometimes pink hued Macoma balthica
(some over 40mm).  This is also a good place to find the European Oyster
(Crassostrea edulis) which must have been introduced from European ships
entering the harbor (or perhaps with seeding efforts?).  Other species you
will most likely find in the drift: Mya arenaria, Ensis directus, Tellina
agilis, Petricola pholadiformis, Crepidula fornica, plana, and convexa,
Littorina littorea.  Not quite the stunning Florida type assemblege, but
typical Boston Harbor.  If you are constrained to collect right in Boston,
places like Carson Beach and Castle Island in South Boston will offer some
of the species listed above, but I find in inferior quality and quantity.
If you had the chance to go out to the Cape or north of Boston, your
collecting possibilities would increase greatly.  If you do have such an
opportunity, feel free to contact me directly.  I would be happy to share
my top recommendations for these areas.
-Kevin
Dorchester, Massachusetts

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 05:57:08 -0700, Jack Donner <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

be in Boston sometime betwen the middle and end of August.&nbsp; While
there, I would like to do some collecting.&nbsp; I have never been there
before, so suggestions, recommendations, locations, and exact directions
would be most appreciated.&nbsp; Thank you,&nbsp; Jack Donner&nbsp;
Williamsburg, VA&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A
href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>
PS=47575">Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
it's FREE!</a> </html>