From:
Bob Abela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:04:10 +1000
Dear Andrew,

I share your dream and it is my desire that, over time, the Guam Shell Club
and its website will progress in the general direction you propose.
Photographing mollusks takes considerable time and patience. Like insects,
capturing a mollusk at the right moment can be an utterly frustrating and
hair-pulling activity. Think these guys are slow moving? Give this activity
a go and you'll change your mind as you try to shoot close up. But the
reward of a few nice images makes it all worthwhile. Perhaps, over time, a
"Mollusks through Mask," or something of that sort, may become a reality.

I have the "Butterflies through Binoculars" guides for all US regions, as
well as the one for dragonflies. They are all well done.

As I ramble...my last dive was spent looking for micro mollusks through a
10X magnifying glass. I spent close to two hours, in just 20 feet of water,
simply checking out life under small rocks. I was fascinated by all the
small critters that rarely get any notice. As I did this, stumbling across
"giants" like Cypraea moneta was somewhat disorienting. As for finds, I did
turn up a couple interesting micro marginellids, will not even guess which
species, let alone genus, they belong too.

Cheers,
Bob